Labels

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Practice Perfect



I arrived in Japan and made my inaugural speech to the 1200 kids in my high school. This was in English so I kept things simple: I play the guitar; I like soccer. That sort of thing. Next day, to my surprise, the captain of the soccer club approached me and asked if I would come along to practice.

I went to my first one, after school on a blisteringly hot August afternoon. We did various drills, passing, dribbling, etc. This went on for about an hour-and-a-half. I, having come from a Southern Hemisphere winter, was thankful for the Mugi-cha that was on offer to quench the thirst. I was pretty buggered, frankly, but thanked them for the run out. The captain said they were only stopping for a break. Ah, really? I stuck it out in the heat and was pretty glad when we finished. When is the next practice, I inquired? Tomorrow. Every day, in fact. Wow, I said, you guys must have some big games coming up. Nope, no games, we just practice.

I didn't make it back for another practice.
Practise by George Alexander Ishida Newman (CC BY)

This tune celebrates the Japanese love of the familiar, of dedication and of the value in skill and art for it's own sake. I chose a potter as the central character in this particular story but it could have been any number of things: kids' relentlessly practising baseball or kendo or whatever; musicians, calligraphers, flower arrangers. Common to many of these pastimes or art forms, perfection is never attainable but something to be pursued.

Here I framed the theme in the broader context of traditional arts and the fear that these will be lost. The father is worried that his son (who is an oblique reference to the yet-to-be-released July track) won't carry on the art. But the traditional arts and strong and the Japanese will find a way...

Next post: it's many shades of brown, it's pottery, it's the local pottery!

No comments:

Post a Comment