Labels

Monday, October 3, 2011

The voice of the tomato

What would a tomato sound like if it starred in a horror film? Well, I had to find the answer to that in our latest film effort.

The 'Enlightenment Blanket' team of film-makers has been at it again, this time entering the 'ABCs of Death' contest to find a 26th director to join 25 professional ones compiling a compendium of death.

The contest offered up the chance to take the letter T and make a film entitled 'T is for...'  People have been pretty inventive as you would expect, with 'T is for Tranny,' 'T is for Tantrum' and 'T is for Tourettes' just a tiny sample of the creativity on display.  Some of the films are great; some are disgusting; some are just bad.

Ours is one of a few 'T is for Tomato' entries, though if you watch any of the others with the same name you will understand that it is quite definitely an understatement to suggest they are all quite distinct from each other.

Watch our one here: http://26th.theabcsofdeath.com/t-is-for-tomato-1/ and please vote for us if you like it.  (Warning: ours is quite 'clean' but many of the others shouldn't be watched at work!)

The music was my first attempt at something for a horror film, so that involved some new flavours.   I actually got my initial inspiration listing to this track on Soundcloud enticingly labelled 'balkan folk?'  What I ended up with differed quite a bit but it was that track that helped me choose the palette of instruments for this soundtrack.  I tried to find a good clarinet sound at first but my sample library was too straight and classicial: the first draft I sent to Pete, the Director, was too 'Peter and the Wolf' for his liking.  So that went out of the window but I kept the gong/cymbal and the string quartet instruments as the base.

And the 'voice' of the tomato was an accidental find.  I took a 'whoosh' sound of a bamboo pipe being swung quickly through the air, reversed it and then ran it through my guitar effects system (Guitar Rig 4) with lots of fuzz and echo.  Et voila - that's exactly how a spooky tomato would speak...

No comments:

Post a Comment